Tasting Australia festival and the 2020 Condesa Co Lab Australian Coffee Championships due to be held in Adelaide March 27th – 30th is scheduled to proceed as planned.
ASCA and SATC are closely monitoring developments related to the recent COVID-19 outbreak.
This event is supported by the South Australian State Government, and we are working closely with them, the Australian Border Force and immigration department to receive up-to-date information on health and safety protocols.
Currently, infection rates in Australia are extremely low, and we are working alongside SATC to ensure the safety of all members, sponsors, attendees, judges and competitors. Any decisions related to COVID-19 are made in consultation with the relevant expert authorities and will be announced as they are made. This is a fluid situation, and everyone should routinely check for any updates on the ASCA website, our Social Media Platforms and ASCA eDMs.
To reduce the potential spread of infection we would kindly ask that everyone follow general health and hygiene protocols, including:
• washing your hands thoroughly with soap and water on a regular basis, or using hand sanitiser products (these will be available throughout the venue); covering your mouth and nose with your elbow when you cough or sneeze, and using disposable tissues that are thrown away immediately after use;
• avoiding close contact, such as kissing, hugging or shaking hands;
• avoiding close contact with individuals who are visibly unwell.
• If you are in good health, there is no need to wear a face mask in public.
ASCA will also be adopting the SCA’s modified cupping protocol developed to reduce the chances of cross-contamination.
• SCA staff will provide each cupping participant a cupping spoon and an individual shot glass upon arrival.
• Sample cups will be placed on cupping tables, and the crust cleared with a clean spoon by volunteer or lead.
• Individuals will approach the cupping bowl with their spoon and spoon a sample from the bowl into their shot glass. Participants will then taste directly from their shot glass. The spoon will not be used for tasting, only to transfer the sample to individual cups. The spoon should not touch one’s mouth or drinking cup.
• Staff will provide hot water and dump buckets in between samples for rinsing coffee out of the shot glasses.
• In between samples, spoons will be rinsed in a rinse cup. Remember, spoons should only be used for transferring coffee.
• Backup spoons and cups will be made available for those who might need a replacement during the cupping.
• Cupping table surfaces will be sanitized in between sessions.
• For those who wish to avoid cuppings, batch brewers can be made available upon request.
ASCA will be sending out very important information in the coming week that will require a mandatory and speedy response from everyone involved in the 2020 Condesa Co Lab Australian Coffee Championships, please look out for it and respond accordingly.
We look forward to seeing everyone in Adelaide at the end of the month.
Further resources for travelling to Adelaide for 2020 Condesa Co Lab Australian Coffee Championships: